In addition to the demands and objectives of a standard-course of study at Carrboro High School, the AIS program aims to create common threads across a students experience that further develop them as globally-minded students and leaders. Our Vision, Mission, and Learning Objectives below are meant to illuminate these common threads.
The Academy of International Studies at Carrboro High School will challenge students to think critically about and make progress on global issues in order to participate meaningfully as 21st century global citizens and leaders.
With the support and guidance of the Academy of International Studies, students will engage in a course of study, extracurricular activities, travel, and service learning opportunities that cultivate global awareness and build the skills necessary to identify, reflect on, and address global issues.
Academy of International Studies Learning Objectives
Identify connections, think critically, reflect on global issues
- Understand the cultural, environmental, political, social and economic context of global issues.
- Evaluate the cultural, environmental, political, social and economic impacts of individual actions.
- Recognize and analyze how political, economic, and social contexts impact decision making.
- Analyze diverse perspectives in order to identify points of agreement and disagreement and make new connections in light of the evidence and reasoning presented.
- Create, participate in and reflect on opportunities to address global issues
- Assess and propose informed actions that help sustain progress